Monday, May 2, 2011

On a happier note...

Goodness time flies when you have no computer. Well, I still had my computer, just no internet for several days and then there were storms and other interruptions. And, it's so easy to drop something that hasn't yet become a habit.

The first happy note to write about is that my Rhys' grandmother, Hayley, celebrated her 16th birthday April 23rd. She's still a spry old gal and frisks in the yard on a regular basis. I made her a chicken cake to celebrate the occasion; sixteen is a good old age for a Corgi and called for something really special.

So, I cooked some chicken and used my food processor to blend some cooked rice, whole wheat and brown rice flours with egg, olive oil, garlic powder, and baking powder. Baked a single 9-inch layer cake from that batter. Then I blended cream cheese and cooked rice to make the "frosting." The letters are thin slices of plain old American cheese. She loved it and so did all the other Corgis who shared in the celebration of their mother, grandmother, great-grandmother, and great-great-grandmother. It is a joy to see her intelligence and personality along with wonderful conformation passed down the generations.

The creative baking bug bit hard so I decided to make a cake for the hoomans here for our Easter celebration. Of course, it just had to be a bunny cake. Chocolate cake baked in two 9-inch layers with chocolate frosting to hold all the bits together. Then covered with a fluffy white frosting, tinted a bit pink for the inside of the ears and added jelly bean eyes and nose. It was a hit.


Haven't done any baking since...hmmm, wonder if I can do a flower or butterfly cake to celebrate May!

No comments:

Post a Comment