Friday, April 22, 2011

More Corgis

My background in Corgis would not be complete without writing a bit about a couple of other significant dogs in my life. In July, 2001, I had the opportunity to get a six year old Corgi whose family had divorced and circumstances were forcing them to find her a new home. So Samantha came to live with us. She hated the cat, Mr. Clark the Stealth Kitty. She and Jerry got along well. She was terrified of thunderstorms. That was a new experience for me--dealing with a 30 pound (she was a large Pemmie girl) trying to push herself in between the toilet and bathroom wall when storms rolled through. We tried several things to ease her fears and finally she got  her own prescription for diazepam (valium).

Samantha on the left, Jerry, right

Samantha was also a bit of an escape artist. Her most memorable adventure occurred early on a warm December morning when it was nearly time for me to leave for school. (I was a teacher and that's another blog entry someday.) When she didn't come in the house with Jerry, I looked in our fenced backyard, nope, not there. She couldn't have been gone more than a few minutes so I drove the neighborhood without finding her. Back in the house I called our veterinarians' office to let them know in case someone found her and called from her tag info. At the same time I'm telling the receptionist about my lost dog another clinic employee was taking information about a found dog...goosebump time. Miss Samantha had decided to go visit a preschool just three blocks from home. She had walked in the building with some of the arriving children and apparenty was quite a hit. Oh you silly Samantha!

In the fall of 2008 our veterinarian found a mass in her abdomen. An attempt to remove the tumor revealed a large hemangiosarcoma involving both her spleen and liver that was seeping blood in the abdominal cavity. After a call from the doctor I was able to go see her at the clinic and say a proper goodbye to funny, sweet, silly, Samantha. Even called my daughter while I was there and held the phone so Samantha could hear her voice. And then she left us quickly and quietly. And I can't write anymore right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment